This lesson plan packet is filled with fun activities that are designed to supplement the engaging STEM books Have You Thanked an Inventor Today?” and/or “Have You Thanked a Kidventor Today?”. It contains 5 lessons that will work to enhance skill levels in Reading, Writing, Math, Science and Creativity through Art. Have fun using these lessons during Black History Month, Invention Conventions or as a fun approach to U.S. History, Math and English Language Arts! Common Core Standards are listed with each activity.
What are the activities included in this awesome resource?
- Paper Weight – Awesome and engaging STEM Activity where students make observations and explore phenomena by testing the strength of paper folded into differently shaped columns.
- Math Decoder – Fun Math Activity where students solve math problems then use their answers to decode a secret message.
- Invention Vocabulary – Using a dictionary or glossary, students will alphabetize and define new vocabulary words, then select at least 5 of those words to be used in a realistic fiction story that they will write about an invention (This activity is text specific. As such, there are separate worksheets to supplement each book).
- Invention Chain – Using art, students will highlight their favorite inventors by creating an invention chain, then sharing why they selected each inventor with the class.
- **Use Your Context Clues! – Wonderful ELA activity where students will determine the meaning of words based upon the context of the sentence (This activity is text specific. As such, there are separate worksheets to supplement each book).
**ACTIVITY DUPLICATED IN 3RD GRADE ACTIVITY PACKET